Multi Purpose Teaching FLUME (MODEL ME-FM-1223E-R)
The ARL’s 1223E Multi-purpose Teaching Flume has been specifically designed to demonstrate the principles of fluid mechanics when applied to engineering structures in open channel flow.
The new Mod-A version is supplied as an accessory to the Hydraulics Bench.
- A 76mm wide, 250mm high open channel for use with an 1223E Hydraulics Bench
- Available in 2.5m and 5.0m working section lengths
- Clear acrylic sides to give visibility of the working section
- A jacking system permits the slope of the channel bed to be adjusted between -1% and +3%
- Inlet tank with flow stilling arrangement
- Includes a Venturi, sharp and broad-crested weirs, 2 vernier level gauges, adjustable undershot weir and crump weir
- Wide range of other models available as accessories.
- Optional flow meter
- Comprehensive instruction manual
- Study of open channel flume
- Use of hook and point gauges to measure water level
- Use of a Pitot-static tube to measure flowrate and velocity profiles (using optional C4-61)
- Learning how to apply force-momentum and steady flow energy equations to simple flow situations
- Understanding the relationship between water level above the crest of a weir and flow rate over the weir
- Using hydraulic structures to control level, eg syphon spillways
- Understanding sub-and super-critical flow and the underlying characteristics of waves
- Hydraulic jump
- Using hydraulic structures for control of flow eg sluice gate
- Applying and understanding Manning’s formula
The 1223E is a small open channel flume, available in 2.Sm or 5.0m lengths, with clear acrylic sides to the working section for total visibility of the flow.
The channel is fitted with a PVC inlet tank, and is designed for free discharge into the Hydraulics Bench. The flume is mounted on a rigid framework, and can be tilted by use of a calibrated screwjack, which allows accurate slope adjustment of the channel.
The inlet tank incorporates a stilling arrangement to diffuse the water flow prior to entry into the channel, ensuring smooth uniform flow. The level in the working section of the flume is controlled using an overshot weir at the discharge end.
Bed pressure tappings and fixing points for models are provided. A longitudinal scale positioned at the top of the channel allows depth gauges and Pitot-static tubes to be accurately positioned along the channel length.
The flume is designed for use with a standard ARL 1223E Hydraulics Bench, which provides the pumped water flow, the flow control valve and a volumetric tank for flow measurement.
Also available is an optional flowmeter which can be fitted to the 1223F to allow direct flow measurements to be taken.
1223E/1223F are supplied with State of the Art Data Acquisition Software.
|Channel slope:||Adjustable between -1% and +3%|
Models and gauges supplied:
- Venturi flume
- Sharp and broad-crested weirs
- Crump weir
- Adjustable undershot weir
- 2 vernier level gauges